POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BUG: failed to save file : Re: failed to save file Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: failed to save file
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 21 Jul 2004 15:33:42
Message: <40fec516$1@news.povray.org>
news:40fd5fcf$1@news.povray.org...

> I tried the "Tierra (LOTW)" scene posted in p.b.s-f a few weeks ago and
used
> it with 30000 trees and let it parse to 50 million tokens, then used the
> keybord to stop the render and instantly after that save the modified
scene
> file (in which I had inserted a space).  The files was saved as expected.
> The system was a P4 3GHz with 1 GB of memory running Win XP Pro (used over
> remote desktop) with all available Win patches installed.

I generally use the "Stop Sign" button, if that's at all relevant.

When you say you stopped "the render", do you actually mean "the parse"?

Again, as others have mentioned this does not appear to happen every time.
You could try your test at various intervals during the parse, and after
perhaps 10 or 20 times, see if it eventually causes the problem.

> Thus, I am afraid more information is needed.  A scene for example.  And
the
> system software, processor and physical memory of everone seeing this
> problem will surely not hurt either.

XP Home with all critical updates, AMD XP 3200+, 1GB RAM.  I can retest
after making sure that I have ALL XP updates.

> > Although I'm pretty sure you guys already know of this kind of
behaviour, I
> > still hope I'm at least helping a bit with this!
>
> Well, I think you have been told numerous times that this is not the case.

This problem was first mentioned on June 16th.

> And given that there is no flood of reports in these groups despite
> thousands of download, it should be fairly clear that this only happens on
> some systems...

This may be an underestimate.  The fact that a few regular posters to this
newsgroup have reported this problem likely means that a great deal more
people are having this problem and are simply not reporting it.

I'm willing to try anything that you can suggest to narrow this down, but
right now it appears to be completely random.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com